Ascend recommends that all invoice files follow these formatting guidelines. Share this information with your suppliers, along with these best practices.
Type and Format
Original PDFs with selectable text are preferred. PNG, JPG/JPEG, and TIF/TIFF files are also accepted.
- Excel workbooks (.xlsx), Word documents (.docx), and emails forwarded as attachments (.eml) are not accepted.
- Files may not be compressed, zipped, or password-protected.
- If a PDF has multiple pages, the invoice should start on page one.
- Each invoice should be a separate file attached to the email. You may attach multiple files to the same email, but they must be included as attachments and not in the body of the email.
- Workday's maximum file size is 30 MB.
- Maximum email size is 150 MB including all attachments and the email itself.
- Files cannot be larger than 17 x 17 inches.
When scanning a document, such as an invoice:
- Scan the original document in color (even if the invoice is entirely black and white).
- Image resolution should be at least 300 DPI.
- Ensure the image is properly aligned with minimal markups/stamps/handwriting.
- Use patch code sheets in between invoices to automatically create separate files when scanning multiple invoices, or scan each invoice as a separate job. (Note: Your settings must have patch code separation turned on in order to use patch code sheets.)
- Handwritten invoices are not supported.
Invalid File Types
You can set up automatic emails that notify the sender when a document doesn't meet the file requirements. The message explains that the file has corrupt, password-protected, or invalid file types and lists accepted file types. You can choose to include the original attachment in the automatic email if it is smaller than 3 MB. Contact support for more information about setting up this feature.
If your organization's forwarding is set up to send emails as an .eml attachment, please contact your internal IT department to change these settings.
If an email from a supplier is incorrectly flagged as spam, please submit a ticket and attach the original email.